The Bakewell Tart is a shortcrust pastry with a layer of jam and a sponge filling enriched with ground almonds (known as frangipane). They may also be covered with nuts such as almonds and peanuts.
Category: Pie & Cake
write a review
For the Shortcrust Pastry:
115 gr cold unsalted butter cut into dice
25 gr castor sugar
200 gr plain sugar
zest of half a lemon
1 piece egg yolk
1 sdm iced water
200 gr unsalted butter (melted)
200 gr castor sugar
200 gr ground almonds
3 egg (lightly beaten)
50 gr self raising flour
100 gr good quality raspberry jam
50 gr flaked almonds
How to make Pastry:
1. Mix flour, sugar and zest together. Incorporate the butter into the flour mix using your finger tips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add the egg yolk and the water and bring the dough together with a metal knife as quickly as possible. (Important not to overwork pastry as it will become tough). Shape the pastry into a disc, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to 2mm thickness and line a 28cm tart tin with a depth of 2cm. Prick the base with a fork and put case in freezer for an hour. Heat the oven to 180C.
3. Line the pastry case with baking parchment and fill with weights (scrunched up tin foil will work if you are in a country cottage with no pastry weights). Cook for about 15 minutes until the pastry is a pale golden colour. Take out the parchment paper and brush the inside of the pastry case with a little egg white. Cool. Reduce oven to 170C.
How to make Bakewell Tart:
1. For Filling: Mix flour and ground almonds in a large bowl. Add the melted butter and eggs and gently fold into the dry mix until just incorporated.
2. Spread base of the cooked pastry case with jam. Scatter crushed berries over the jam and pour in the almond mixture. Smooth the surface and scatter the flaked almonds on top.
3. Bake for 30 minutes then cover with tin foil to stop it browning further. Bake another 10 minutes until filling is just set. Serve with creme fraiche.
Submitted by: Lovelyvia
Reviews & Ratings for Bakewell Tart
What users are saying:
Pictures of Bakewell Tart